Monday, October 26, 2009

This week we are meant to be doing community paeds, so we are based around clinics and schools in Stevenage town itself as compared to the hospital. So, early in the morning I left London and headed up north east. After trying to navigate from this imaginary map in my head, I found the elusive healthcare centre (elusive because the main entrance and sign was blocked by this humongous van-lorry contraption). I was directed round some corridors and finally found Tom sitting in this room waiting so I sat down too.

Thing is, it is half term for schools, so basically, there are no schools to visit, half the consultants are on holiday, including the one who we were meant to look for. As a result, the part-time consultant who suddenly had to deal with two medical students was at a loss and threw us in some random clinic which took absolutely forever to settle one patient (read: 1.5 hours for one patient). I dozed off a couple of times only to wake up and see the patient's mom staring at me smiling, and this happened many many times. Tom later told me that he dozed off and found the lady staring and smiling at him many times too.

After 2 patients, the clinic was finally over. Tom and I were secretly glad and were about to sneak off to grab some food when the consultant said "oh here you are, come, join us for this lunchtime meeting before heading off for your lunch." At that completely sleep-inducing meeting, I was super sleepy and just as I was about to doze off, I heard the chairwoman say "..and we have just lost Tom." and I woke up and turned to my right to find Tom just about waking up. Phew, saved by T.Walker.

The neverending meeting finally ended and after grabbing a quick sandwich where we basically were so hungry we wolfed down lunch in less than 2 minutes, I went back to look for stand-in consultant to ask for the timetable for the week. She said she had nothing in mind but suggested a few clinics we could attend in the afternoon. I went back to pass the msg to Tom and after a short 10s discussion, we came to a consensus and decided to escape, so we grabbed our bags and ran (yes, literally RAN) out of the door to the train station.

Tom is so incredibly funny. The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Tom is how we struggle to keep awake in meetings and clinics, especially on Mondays. I'm sorry I said I'd ditch you, I'll try not to! (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home