Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I haven't quite been blogging about life in clinics of late. I think mainly because I don't quite feel the passion for medicine after I moved out of the whit. There was just something about the hospital's culture that made you feel part of the team and gave you a strange motivation to want to go in for 8am starts willingly and stay till unearthly hours. The free started growing on me after I stopped moping around in social misery and stopped comparing it to the whit (which by the way, is on a completely different league altogether so why compare?).

I just finished my rotation in respiratory medicine. It was really dull for me because most of the patients were too critically ill to speak and those who could speak were on masks, so, well, they couldn't really speak. The one patient who wasn't on a mask basically already spoke to twenty thousand students previously and obviously doesn't want to speak to yet another one which is fair enough. Well, the rotation wasn't all good but it wasn't all bad either. I really loved the registrar and his attitudes with patient care, he helped us tweak our examination skills to make it more comfortable for the patient. I also loved how he basically cuts to the chase and gets people to stop waffling if they were trying to stall for time while answering questions. Absolute brilliance.

I sat in on a general medical clinic today and the clinic was alright, with the usual inability to answer questions and feeling really stupid - what's new. In addition to that, the consultant really threw a fit, screamed and swore on the phone, hung up on the other person, turned to two of us and bitched about the situation. I did not know how to respond so i just sat there (as if he didn't already think i was dumb, now he probably thinks im deaf too) while my partner joined him in bitching! It wasn't a pretty sight. Well, he also duly complained to everyone else who came in through the door about whatever happened, most of whom just gave a mandatory nod and "that's annoying". The worse thing is, my partner left at 3.30 and I was left there to fend for myself all the way till 5pm.

Being stuck in a tiny room with a big (HUGE actually) angry black man, not really my idea of fun.

That aside, it was a good clinic, learnt lots about how little I knew, which is always good motivation to go read up and find out more. I was surprisingly able to churn out the right answers to some questions I didn't even understand which is always a pleasant surprise. Time to go read up and start climbing out of this long overdue sitting in the pit of un-motivation. Now, where are my climbing boots?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home