The reason why I haven't been blogging much is mainly because I don't have much time to do so and partly because I don't have much inspiration to blog. As much as I feel like I want to record every moment, every experience and everything I see, learn and do in the hospital, I don't want to bore the bejabbers out of this place by turning into medicgeekland.In addition, a lot of it will seem to pass off as mere whining and complaining which I personally have been making a conscious effort not to do. Don't get me wrong, clinics can truly be frustrating and everything can go wrong in a day which leaves you utterly demoralised, exhausted and very very hungry. This is all the 'hard work and personal sacrifice' that we were warned of when applying for medicine and it can only get worse from here. I'm glad I have Jesus. (:
It was really beautiful, especially for me because I've seen this relationship right from just before it started and seeing it grow and them getting married was just that bit extra special for me. However, after attending the wedding, I now feel like I absolutely want to make it for jibaobao's wedding, by hook or by crook. Do you think I can convince the medical school to let me work around the exams I have during that period of time and fly to Singapore for the wedding? Pretty please? :(
2) Saturday 25 October/Sunday 26 October
Generally unremarkable, was on-take on Sunday 8am-8pm, spent most of Saturday after tennis and hog roast sleeping in preparation for the Sunday shift. I remember the start of Sunday was the weirdest ever. I was meant to be on-take with my firm mate, P.
At 7am, I received a text from him that said, "hey, when you finally get here, please come down to ISIS." That was the Sunday that British Summer Time ended, so I thought he forgot to turn his clock backwards by an hour and basically, reached the hospital one hour earlier than he was meant to. When i got to the hospital at 8am, I went down to the ISIS ward at A&E and there P was, messy haired, bulgey eyes staring at me from a hospital bed, in a hospital gown. He was admitted the night before with several symptoms and basically, in a septic shock with bp of 80/60 and pulse of 300bpm. It was funny the way he described how Khoon (who was on surgical take on Saturday night) tried to cannulate him claiming "I've done 6 cannulations today! Trust me, I can do it for you!", only to find upon further interrogation that he had a success rate of 1 out of those 6 patients. P then told Khoon to "F off and get the damn nurse to do it". Lol.
Since P was admitted into hospital and obviously not well enough to do the take, I was on-take alone on Sunday. The only annoying thing about being on-take on Sunday was the fact that I had to miss church. Other than that, it was quite a good day. I did not try to be funny like my other firm mates who went to try to clerk P! I did visit him with Marc and Charlie on Monday though. He was given a side room on the ward and basically, had a really nice room with a brilliant view. There, I realised I could see the emirates stadium, Gherkin, London Eye, UCH and Royal Free, all from the Whit! That has got to be the best room ever with the best view. P was discharged on Monday and basically, fit and well, since he threatened to have me for lunch (again).
3) Saturday 1st November - jb/concord-filled day; Sunday 2nd November
Firstly, Keith came for tennis! Shocku! In addition, he was the only punctual one besides me. Double shocku! I was very happy to see him. Secondly, it was bfb's birthday! However, due to obvious geographical difficulties, this part of the world did not celebrate for him. After tennis and hog roast (again, man I'm so going to die of CVD), I went over to Sam's place in the evening for dinner with Sam (duh), Zen, Chekkie, Suesue and Alvin. It was wicked awesome fun pigging out on meat gyozas and the sneaky taugeh filled gyozas and basically, having conversation topics that mainly hovered around bodily wastes (read: diarrhoea and vomit). Man, how I love talking about gross things over dinner.
On Sunday, Eujin was in London and we had lunch with him after church. It's interesting how he is now the youngest store manager in the South-east region and yet he is still the same cheeky monster. I guess we all have our professional 'work face' when the time calls for it.
That's three weekends covered. This weekend, I have absolutely nothing on for now, which probably won't last for long. The next few weekends look exciting, including a brother's registration and a possible ocf retreat. (: This post turned out much longer and waffly than I intended, I guess it is the innate ability to procrastinate at work again. On-take again tomorrow, I probably should bum off to sleep soon. Goose night! ((:
A brief recap of the past few weekends (for me to remember!)
1) Saturday 18 October, Rosemary and Cubillas' wedding! (:
2) Saturday 25 October/Sunday 26 October
Generally unremarkable, was on-take on Sunday 8am-8pm, spent most of Saturday after tennis and hog roast sleeping in preparation for the Sunday shift. I remember the start of Sunday was the weirdest ever. I was meant to be on-take with my firm mate, P.
At 7am, I received a text from him that said, "hey, when you finally get here, please come down to ISIS." That was the Sunday that British Summer Time ended, so I thought he forgot to turn his clock backwards by an hour and basically, reached the hospital one hour earlier than he was meant to. When i got to the hospital at 8am, I went down to the ISIS ward at A&E and there P was, messy haired, bulgey eyes staring at me from a hospital bed, in a hospital gown. He was admitted the night before with several symptoms and basically, in a septic shock with bp of 80/60 and pulse of 300bpm. It was funny the way he described how Khoon (who was on surgical take on Saturday night) tried to cannulate him claiming "I've done 6 cannulations today! Trust me, I can do it for you!", only to find upon further interrogation that he had a success rate of 1 out of those 6 patients. P then told Khoon to "F off and get the damn nurse to do it". Lol.
Since P was admitted into hospital and obviously not well enough to do the take, I was on-take alone on Sunday. The only annoying thing about being on-take on Sunday was the fact that I had to miss church. Other than that, it was quite a good day. I did not try to be funny like my other firm mates who went to try to clerk P! I did visit him with Marc and Charlie on Monday though. He was given a side room on the ward and basically, had a really nice room with a brilliant view. There, I realised I could see the emirates stadium, Gherkin, London Eye, UCH and Royal Free, all from the Whit! That has got to be the best room ever with the best view. P was discharged on Monday and basically, fit and well, since he threatened to have me for lunch (again).
3) Saturday 1st November - jb/concord-filled day; Sunday 2nd November
Firstly, Keith came for tennis! Shocku! In addition, he was the only punctual one besides me. Double shocku! I was very happy to see him. Secondly, it was bfb's birthday! However, due to obvious geographical difficulties, this part of the world did not celebrate for him. After tennis and hog roast (again, man I'm so going to die of CVD), I went over to Sam's place in the evening for dinner with Sam (duh), Zen, Chekkie, Suesue and Alvin. It was wicked awesome fun pigging out on meat gyozas and the sneaky taugeh filled gyozas and basically, having conversation topics that mainly hovered around bodily wastes (read: diarrhoea and vomit). Man, how I love talking about gross things over dinner.
On Sunday, Eujin was in London and we had lunch with him after church. It's interesting how he is now the youngest store manager in the South-east region and yet he is still the same cheeky monster. I guess we all have our professional 'work face' when the time calls for it.
That's three weekends covered. This weekend, I have absolutely nothing on for now, which probably won't last for long. The next few weekends look exciting, including a brother's registration and a possible ocf retreat. (: This post turned out much longer and waffly than I intended, I guess it is the innate ability to procrastinate at work again. On-take again tomorrow, I probably should bum off to sleep soon. Goose night! ((:
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home