Thursday, November 06, 2008

I was on-take today and my whole day seemed to revolve around old(er) and very intelligent men. The 12 hour day can be divided into three main parts, each about 4 hours long.

The first part of the day was spent listening to this 36(?)year old, very straight-talking and amazingly smart man with a very dry sense of humour that I can totally relate to, lead a troop of doctors on an investigation to find out what's wrong with the patients who were admitted into hospital the previous day. Also, this meant that the n00b medical students were also thoroughly interrogated about anything and everything that comes into his mind ranging from 'why does metformin cause lactic acidosis?' to 'why does polo now produce fruity sweets and not just mints?'.

The second part of the day was spent cannulating arms with this 32 year old rather tall, dark and handsome man who previously had a degree in psychology, went on to work in M&S and eventually became a branch manager before he decided to go for medicine and that's how he ended up here. The session proved to be quite enjoyable but bloody. Rod once said that this man walks in a very irritating manner whereas I think this person has really to-die-for eyes! Sigh, why did he have to be gay.

The third part of the day was spent hunting down patients with this really really tall 45 year old man who is absolutely lovely. He was completely mortified when he said 'oh, i graduated in 1985 with my first degree in physics and chemistry' only to realise that I wasn't even born yet. He then went on to work a good many years in banking while thinking 'I should have been a doctor' which he eventually decided one day that that was precisely what he was going to do, quit his job and went to medical school. He has a 2 year old daughter and a wife he described as 'gorgeous and very petite'.

It is interesting how well I get along with people older than me. Maybe it's all the training from eating everyday with all the really seriously older uncles in JB. Medically speaking, today's take was rubbish. However, looking at it from a non-medical perspective, the take was absolutely brilliant. John was a pretty awesome partner and provided good entertaining company with his life stories. I sure hope i become more interesting as I age. From where I stand now, I am pretty much the most boring person on earth. Hurhur.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home